Wednesday 4 November 2009

A separate issue... Beauty or beast?



I noticed this on my walk from the station to uni one day, and everyday since. It makes me smile walking past this small insignificant piece of information, it makes me wonder who else has noticed it, ignored it, answered it. To me it is lovely, to others it could be vandalism. As Vilem Flusser puts it;
"The significance of images is magical".
Irving Penn's work has been described as revealing "to us what has always been there in front of our eyes - only unseen, unnoticed, uncomprehended." This is something I wish to explore, especially within magazine design, as magazines can open up the world to us, make us notice the unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, I've never seen this... or maybe I have but not noticed it. My immediate answer would be no, but then I think, maybe I should...

    ReplyDelete